Monday, December 30, 2013

CTEK UC 800 6V Smart Battery Charger

CTEK UC 800 6V Smart Battery ChargerQuality 6 volt chargers are hard to find and I was a bit skeptical about this one but am glad I purchased it. I have an antique car, 6 volts, that takes a good amount of power to start. Regular maintainers left me with an OK battery but not enough to turn the motor well. I always had to use a 6 volt jumper battery as well to start. This guy took a while to get things in order, but now the car starts with ease. I was concerned for a period of weeks because the light never moved from the center and I thought perhaps it was not working. However it eventually turned green and I was very please with my battery power.

As others have mentioned, put the right size rings on the harness! It should be obvious to the manufacturer that these rings are too small and we have to replace or drill to make work with most battery clamp bolts.

I recommend this unit for older 6 volt cars and I am sure it would be excellent for those applications where less amperage is needed.

The chargers come with nice leads for connecting to the battery, but a few issues for my installation. I take it this is designed for a motorcycle or something similar, as the length of the bolt-on lead to the quick-connector is short, like 14", so forget trying to get the connector out of the engine bay. I'm hooking up to antique cars and we need like 3' of lead. Plus, the connector is 1/4" and a 5/16" minimum is needed to go over the battery clamps on my applications, so the connectors did not do the job and I will have to try to fabricate some new ones with longer leads -

I have not used long enough to rate the charging systems but hopefully that is worked out. I'm going to ask the MFG for a longer lead and 12 volt style batter connectors for my applications, see how they react.

Buy CTEK UC 800 6V Smart Battery Charger Now

No comments:

Post a Comment