Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Motorcycle / Bike waterproof Handlebar Mount

Motorcycle / Bike waterproof Handlebar MountI ordered this waterproof case so that I could mount my Garmin nuvi 255w auto GPS to the handlebars of my mountain bike. The case arrived and included the mounting bracket, as well as foam inserts that allow for padding, in case you have a smaller GPS. It fit my nuvi 255w perfectly and will easily fit a Motorola Droid, or the newer, larger Droid X (which I plan to be using the case for once I upgrade my cell phone).

The mounting bracket installed in seconds. The clamp which goes around the bar is already rubberized and has small ridges that help secure it tightly. The bracket also includes a ball socket, allowing you to rotate it to a portrait orientation if needed. It allows for about 40 degrees of movement from center, letting you tilt the unit if needed. The front window is clear plastic and feels heavy enough to withstand regular usage. My Garmin touchscreen still worked just fine through the plastic. The zipper which encircles the case is vinyl and hides the zipper track, creating a rainproof seal. My GPS/phone will definitely be safe even if I get caught in the heaviest downpour. There is a quick release built in to the bracket as well. It requires a little force to remove it, which is a good thing. I'd rather have it too stiff than have my GPS falling off. There is also an access port at the bottom of the case, in case you need to run headphones and/or power.

I never take the time to write reviews, so I hope this goes to show you how impressed I am with this product.

This case is terrific! I have it on my Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer for about three months, and it works very well.

Pros:

Fits 1" handlebars perfectly, no slipping, secure feeling.

Fits Nuvi 255W just fine.

Easy to use the touch screen through the plastic.

Great value of cost and function.

Easy to remove case from handlebar mount to store GPS.

Can use the cradle the GPS provides if you don't want to use the waterproof case.

Opening for wire is great for power cord, yet is flexible enough to keep water out.

Easy to adjust the angle to accommodate different handlebar bends.

Cons:

Cannot turn off unit without opening case (but that's the tradeoff for waterproof, though).

Lightweight plastic construction makes me a little uneasy, looks like the handlebar mount can crack if accidentally overtightened. But again, this is a great value item. If I wanted commercial grade, I would have bought the more unsightly RAM mount.

Not able to permanently affix to handlebars, nor is it lockable but hey, what more do you expect at this price?!

Buy Motorcycle / Bike waterproof Handlebar Mount Now

I purchased this mount for my Nuvi 260 and it mounted great to my bike. I ride a Kawasaki KLR 650 and it looks great on it. I have no complaints about the durability of the mount itself, nor how the waterproof case connects to the mount. Solid Product and I would recommend it!

Read Best Reviews of Motorcycle / Bike waterproof Handlebar Mount Here

Here is what I found after riding with this thing on my bike for 1 day.

1. It rained the first day that I installed it, which gave me a chance to test it's "WATERPROOF"ness. The pouch was sealed before the rain started and I rode without touching it for about 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes, the pouch filled up with water. The water collected at the bottom of the pouch. The lining turned into a sponge and separated from the bottom.

2. It is also not clear if the pouch is securely attached to the mount. I removed the pouch from the mount, while I was assessing the water damage. Afterwards, I put it back on and continued to ride. A few minutes later, I accidentally bumped the case as I was stopping. The pouch separated from the mount, fell on the ground and got driven over by 2 cars.

Luckily, I was just testing it out and did not have my $500 cellular phone in there as I was intending to.

Also, I agree with one of the other reviews. This this is ugly. It protrudes very high.

Want Motorcycle / Bike waterproof Handlebar Mount Discount?

Purchased this to mount my Garmin 765T to my Honda VTX1300R. Works great and have used it in some light rain. GPS is behind a fairing so this mount will have no problem keeping mine dry. Easy to mount and included some rubber spacers which keep it from rotating on the bars while pushing the touch screen and protect the bars from scratching. Took it on a 280 mile trip and was able to tighten the screws a bit when I checked them at the destination, so I would recommend a little blue Loctite to keep vibration at bay. If the screws loosen fully you will lose the nut out the back of the mount. I glued the nuts in from the back so this won't happen. The nuts are recessed in a hex well so only a screwdriver is needed to tighten things up. Very intelligent design feature since most bikes have windshields which make getting a wrench behind the mount difficult. Granted the mount is plastic but it is a thick high grade plastic and I have no worries about it's durability. Touch screen works fine through the clear front panel with no reduction in visibility. Mount holds the GPS in place well, never vibrated down while riding and it takes a firm push to displace it once positioned. The locking collar on the ball swivel never came loose due to vibration after 600 miles on the trip. GPS was a breeze to fit into the case due to several sheets of foam that come with the mount and can be stacked until the unit is kept in place tightly and even cut to make room for your power cord should it not plug in at the top or bottom. I mounted mine with the power cord coming out the top so the zipper tab wouldn't scratch my speedo cover. Very nice mount and I highly recommend it. Excellent value and quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment