Sunday, October 19, 2014

Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio

Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio
  • Portable CB radio with 40 CB channels, 10 NOAA channels, and 4 Watts of output power
  • Power with six AA batteries or included cigarette lighter adapter for mobile use
  • Instant access to NOAA Radio, channels 9 and 19; Dual Watch monitors channel 9 and additional channel
  • ANL (automatic noise limiter) and squelch control for improving reception and eliminating noise
  • One-year manufacturer's warranty

I couldn't be much happier with this unit. Where it really shines is in battery life. I've used this in various 4x4 competitions and my teammates use some much larger, clunky handhelds that require 10 batteries and eat them up quick (several sets in a weekend). I use 6 nicads in my midland unit and they last and last.

Its a pretty decent mobile unit too with the adapter. With an external antenna the range is tremendously improved. My only real complaint is that I wish that there was a way to lock the backlighting on when using the car adapter this would make it easier to use at night.

Buy Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio Now

Works very well and a great value for the purchase price. The fact that this radio can be a handheld or a mobile radio and that it comes with a 12-volt cigarette lighter plug, a PL-259 external antenna connector, a portable antenna, a battery box for using six "AA' batteries, and an AC adapter made the system very versatile. The NOAA weather band capabilities only added to this versatility My only complaint is that the radio could use more volume output as it is sometimes hard to hear when used in a vehicle.

Read Best Reviews of Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio Here

I purchased this CB radio at a local electronics store for $. It comes with an adapter to plug into your vehicle. The adapter also has a hookup for an external antenna. You can use the unit as a hand held with the battery packs. The radio comes with two battery holders. One for disposable batteries, another for rechargeable. The rechargeable battery holder has an AC adapter included. It comes with a steel belt clip. Though, be careful it can easily scratch your belt.

The radio isn't very loud, even with the sound at max level. The only time I have any issues hearing it is when I have a window cracked. It does come with a jack for headphones or an external speaker. This Midland model also does not have an ANL (Automatic Noise Limiter), and does receive interference from time to time.

The range is to be expected for a hand held radio. Using it with the rubber antenna inside of your vehicle you can expect 1/4 3/4 mile range depending on the time of day and terrain. You get better range outside of your vehicle. Excellent for use on ATVs. If you plan to use this radio in your vehicle, it would be wise to purchase an antenna. I purchased a magnetic antenna for portability:

Want Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio Discount?

The Midland 75-822 is a neat little device, it comes with everything for both HT & mobile use except, a hand microphone, mobile antenna & batteries. External hand microphone, external antenna, & both rechargeable & alkaline cells are each purchased separately. Rechargeable & alkaline cell battery cases, plus cigar lighter power cable with an external antenna adapter are included (Type BNC & SO239/PL259 HF antenna connector) They really thought of almost everything in this package. The one drawback I found was the build was cheap. One of the screws came from the factory cross threaded into the bottom of the unit. The screw was crooked and caused difficulty, impairing the battery pack's ability to slide on and off the radio. There was evidence that the internal wires were pinched causing case/frame misalignment during assembly and when examined the internal frame was slightly bent. As a result someone had forced the screw into the slot and stripped all of the threads on both surfaces. The radio is still usable after clearing the pinched wires except the threads are damaged and the screw may come loose (only use & time will tell). I don't think I should have to repair a radio's defects brand new from the factory, and I feel it's just another example of the cheap, inferior quality of Chinese gear pouring across borders everywhere. Also want to state two (2) radios were purchased. Be aware when you purchase an inferior Chinese product, you might be stuck with the Status Quo. Amateur radio & GMRS/FRS gear is slightly more expensive in most cases but, in this case would have been a better purchase as it is engineered to higher quality standards. Decided to purchase two Yaesu HT's to replace them. These Midland radios are still as new in their boxes sitting on the shelf. They will likely play an emergency backup role to the new Yaesu radios. Caveat Emptor! (Let the Buyer Beware)

The Midland 75-822 would have received 5 stars had they both been 100%. However, sometimes Chinese gear is sub standard so, in this case it receives 3 stars (because it's just ok under the circumstances). IF there is any change I will update this review appropriately.

I hope this saves somebody a headache (check the build very carefully prior to posting your review). I hope Midland and Amazon are listening.

Thank you for reading

Save 34% Off

I purchased this item to use on trail runs that I do with other 4X4 owners. When standing outside the vehicle and using the hand held setup I got a range of about a mile and a half. The primary way that I use this radio is with a 3' FireStik mounted to a cross member on my roof rack. This set up puts the antenna right in the middle of the roof of my SUV and makes for a great ground plane. I then run 18' of coax along the roof rack, through the rear window and under the floor mats to the front of the cabin. I check the antenna tuning each time I set it up and I get over 5 miles range in mountainous terrain and over 10 miles in open country.

I like this radio because it fits my needs. I want to be able to take it down when I am not on the trails or traveling in remote areas, but I want it to be quick and easy to set up when I do want to use it. I am sure I can get better features and longer range with a permanent setup and a "big box" radio, but I am completely satisfied with this product. It is versatile and easy to use once you familiarize yourself with the controls and their locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment